...is mostly to keep myself accountable over the summer of 2008, which, for my purposes, is from May 16 to September 2. I have a couple goals that I am going to set for myself here, and I'll try and post daily (or at least a couple times a week) to give an idea of my progress or lack thereof.
I'll break my goal sets into a few different areas, in no specific order.
Musical goals:
-Practice a minimum of 28 hours per week.
This amounts to 4 hours a day if I don't miss any days. I should be able to do this without a problem until I start teaching at the two camps this summer. In May and most of June, however, this shouldn't be difficult at all, since all I'm doing is teaching my 9 violin students.
-Get the Wieniawski concerto COMPLETELY memorized.
I'd really like to play a movement or two of this for the first studio class of the semester in the fall, plus the earlier I memorize it, the better.
-Get the orchestra excerpts learned. I'll list them below.
Mozart 39 (second and third movements)
Mozart 35 "Haffner"
Strauss Don Juan
Beethoven 3 and 9
Brahms all
Mendelssohn "Midsummer Night's Dream"
Schumann Scherzo
Prokofiev "Classical" Symphony
Shostakovich 5
-Learn (memorize, maybe) the first 4 movements of Bach d minor partita. I've wanted to learn this for a long time and haven't had the opportunity until now. Move to the last movement if time permits.
-Get through a Paganini caprice every week. They won't be polished at all, but I think this will help solidify some of my technical skills.
-Practice scales EVERY SINGLE TIME I PRACTICE. So if I practice 5 days a week, I had better be going through scales 5 times per week. Preferably all 12 keys major and minor, but we'll see.
Fitness/health goals:
-Exercise at least 4 times per week for an hour. There is NO reason that I shouldn't be able to do this, even over camp. BSOC is over by the early afternoon, so I can go running after that. SPAC is going to be more difficult, but there are lots of activities that I can participate in: frisbee on the quad, sportsplex, the pool, etc. And if I have dorm duties, I can do situps, pushups, etc in my room.
-Eat well 5 days per week. I can give myself two days a week to eat awful food and drink, but I shouldn't allow myself more than that.
-Get back to my level of fitness of senior year of college. I was running all the time, eating well, and really doing well up until about the winter break of my senior year of college. My recital, grad school auditions, and graduating were all looming over my head second semester, and I really got back to old bad habits that have stuck with me for the past year. This summer, I really think I can do well at getting back to a good level of fitness.
Mental/academic goals:
-Read at least 2 books per month. This should be NO problem, especially considering that I am going to be bored at camp. I usually get at least two books put away over SPAC, so I'm not too worried about this one.
-Try and get some serious reading done about the repertoire that I'm preparing for my recital and auditions.
-Learn a new word every single day. At the very least, I can write the new word that I learned every single day in this blog.
That about wraps it up. If I think of anything else, I'll post addendums as I post on this blog as I'm getting through the summer of improvement 2008.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment